With hundreds of residential, commercial and institutional projects installed, Western Solar is a leading provider of renewable energy systems in the Northwest including solar electric systems and electric vehicle charging stations.
We strive to design and install the most cost-effective energy-saving solutions for our clients. In so doing, we hope to contribute to decreasing our country’s dependence on fossil fuels and its contribution to global greenhouse gas emissions.
Western Solar was founded in 2002 and our team leads have over fifteen years of experience installing several megawatts of solar electric systems throughout the United States. Our experience gives us confidence in our services, allowing us to provide one of the longest workmanship warranties in the industry, 10 years!
Why Choose Us?
We firmly believe that we should be judged by how we treat our employees and customers. With that ethos at the core we focus on integrity and craftsmanship as our guiding principles in our decision making process. From equipment selection, system design, installation best practices, and long term support, we strongly believe that quality matters.
Our electricians are NABCEP (North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners) Certified and as industry leaders are called upon by the electrical union to teach solar best practices.
Our Service Area
Western Solar installs solar PV systems throughout the I-5 corridor, including Whatcom, Skagit, Snohomish, King, and Island Counties. We have also done projects in Thurston and San Juan Counties as well. If you’re curious if we install in your area, just give us a call at (360) 746-0859. Check out our solar installation map to see if we’ve recently completed a project in your neighborhood.
What Our Solar Customers Have to Say
- My experience with Western Solar from initial contact, to site analysis to determine size and placement, payback projection and final installation was transparent, understandable and enjoyable.Lyle A.5.67 kW solar PV system, Blaine
- I was really pleased with how integrated the installation was from beginning to end. Josh was professional, responsive and helpful. I really appreciate all the info we were given about the credit union and how production credits work. They didn’t just sell and install some panels and then leave us to figure out the rest. That’s been huge. We highly recommend Western Solar!Alexandra S.5.76 kW solar PV system, Bellingham
- When researching solar system for the house we interviewed five solar energy companies. We did an immense amount of research, and while all the companies gave us bids that were similar, Western was the only company that took the time to go on the roof with a small machine that mapped out the best position for the panels, whether they would be shaded anytime during the day and how much power they should produce to give us the best prediction of what to expect. This gave us comfort to know that we were only putting panels on our roof that would generate the maximum amount of electricity and so far they are right on target.Dennis H.7.2 kW solar PV system, Stanwood
- Western Solar staff was a pleasure to deal with in all aspects of this project. I think they have a good product along with excellent personnel and customer support.Dennis P.4.32 kW solar PV system, Mt. Vernon
- I was referred by my neighbor. Josh and Eric were always available. The work was very fast and professional.Robin L.4.32 kW solar PV system, Bellingham
- Your entire team made this project a dream come true for us. The planet and the Palmers thank you!Bill and Kaye P.2.88 kW solar PV system, Bellingham
We are Western Solar
This is our dedicated team who work together every day to
design and install the most cost-effective energy-saving solutions for our clients.
Director of Sales & Business Development
Markus Virta first joined Western Solar in 2010 and has since grown to manage the company’s business development, sales, and marketing efforts. As a serving board member for the Solar Installers of Washington Markus is proud to lead the Washington Solar industry’s legislative/policy efforts. Markus is passionate about fostering a balanced and affordable access to renewable energy. He values integrity...View profile
Callum McSherry came to Western Solar from London, England, via Denver, CO. In London, Callum worked for Emgen Solar, where he conducted desktop site analysis and financial modeling for commercial solar developments. After marrying his college sweetheart (a native Coloradoan), Callum moved to Denver and continued working in the solar industry at Ecomark Solar as the Marketing and Events...View profile
Joshua Miller has been involved in the solar industry since an early age, having grown up in a passive solar adobe home in Arizona. After graduating from Business School at Northern Arizona University he spent several years traveling the world before returning to Arizona to work for a green building company. During the next two years as Project Manager...View profile
Eric Blatz, Operations Manager/Electrical Administrator, has been a union commercial electrical administrator in the state of Washington for several years and has been in the industry for 15 years. He is an IBEW trained electrician with certifications for electric vehicles and solar installation and has also recieves his NABCEP (North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners) Solar Certification. His...View profile
Cheryl Beadle joined Western Solar in June 2017, as Office Manager and Customer Support Coordinator. She was born and raised in Michigan and graduated from Michigan State University with a Bachelor’s Degree. She headed west shortly after graduation and fell in love with the Pacific Northwest. She has a passion for providing excellent customer service and loves being part...View profile
Trish Merriman, Marketing Coordinator & Project Support, studied Visual Communications with a dual focus on Graphic Design and Web/Interactive Media. After spending several years working for a local real estate marketing company and another two years working on freelance graphic and web design projects, she joined the Western Solar team in July 2014. Trish is a Western Washington native and...View profile
Dana Hickenbottom joined the Western Solar team in June 2017 after working for 4 years at itek Energy, a local solar equipment manufacturer, as the Customer and Technical Support Manager. During his time at itek Energy he gained a deep familiarity with solar technology, manufacturing, and troubleshooting. He is excited to bring this expertise to Western Solar and experience...View profile
Craig Folsom, Electrician, graduated from Appalachian State University with a Bachelors degree in Appropriate Technology. He joined Western Solar in 2014 and has earned certifications for NABCEP PV Installation Professional and Solar Thermal and is an 02 residential electrician. Craig is a professional downhill mountain bike racer and has competed all over the country. He recently moved from Nashville, to pursue...View profile
Lindsey Bear, Project Coordinator, completed her Energy Policy & Management degree at Western Washington University in June of 2019. This degree, combined with her previous studies in Energy Engineering at Bellingham Technical College, has given her the ability to view energy systems from a technical, economic, and social viewpoint. She believes the integration of both renewable energy and advanced...View profile
Getch Poole, installer, has a passion for flashin’ because he believes a well sealed roof is a happy roof. He’s been in the construction industry for years, and is excited to apply his skills spreading renewable energy across his beloved Pacific Northwest.View profile
Brady comes from a background in public resource management and environmental restoration. He graduated in 2013 from Western Washington University and spent time with the Washington Conservation Corps and Whatcom County Parks and Recreation. With a passion for improving how humans interact with our environment, he enjoys working for a company that is dedicated to quality workmanship and long...View profile
John is an 02 Residential Electrician who joined Western Solar in 2018.View profile
Joe Ford grew up on San Juan Island learning to love everything the Northwest has to offer. After opting out of the Art Academy of San Francisco he spent his time moving from mountain to mountain and traveling the world. He and his wife have happily chosen Bellingham as their home, where they will raise their two children and...View profile
Jade Dorman is from eastern Washington, loves fishing, mountain biking, hiking, snowboarding, IPAs and traveling. He moved to Bellingham so his wife could finish college. The two traveled Italy and Amsterdam for their honeymoon. Jade worked as a wild land firefighter before joining Western Solar an an installer.View profile